OT: Americans love their guns

Lulu of the Lotus-Eaters mertz at gnosis.cx
Thu Aug 28 16:27:15 EDT 2003

|>USA gun-related deaths are ~29k/year
|And my probability of being one of them is pretty low - because I am
|usually armed ;)

Obviously, your probability is MUCH, MUCH higher of being one of them,
because you are armed.  Most of them are suicides.  My chance of being a
gun-inflicted suicide is 0.00%... yours is more (maybe you don't suffer
from depression now, and maybe no temporary personal tragedy has made
you despondent... but if such things do happen [of course, I do not wish
them on you]...)

Moreover, some of the rest are accidents.  Again, my odds... well, more
than 0%, since my neighbors could misfire their guns in my direction.
But still much less than yours.

As for homicide, well, you're far more likely to be either a victim or a
killer.  If you are armed, it is quite possible that an angry loved one
would have access to that gun.... and no doubt regret shooting you after
his/her anger cooled.  And should you be mugged on the street by a
stranger, your chance of walking away dead (rather than just with less
money), are MANY times higher if you pull a gun on your assailant.

Yours, Lulu...

P.S. But wow! Isn't it fun to hear a big bang on the target range :-(.

--
 mertz@   _/_/_/_/_/_/_/ THIS MESSAGE WAS BROUGHT TO YOU BY:_/_/_/_/ v i
gnosis  _/_/                    Postmodern Enterprises         _/_/  s r