OT: Americans love their guns

maxx at easynews.com maxx at easynews.com
Fri Aug 29 13:51:33 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003 19:46:57 GMT, maxx at easynews.com wrote:

>And my probability of being one of them is pretty low - because I am usually
>armed ;)

Lots of replies. Rather than create a large list of individual responses, I will
summarize in this one post.

>I would think being armed increases your chances of engaging in an armed
>confrontation.

I have never quite agreed with that concept. Being armed should not make one
"seek out" conflict, or otherwise engage in unsafe situations. Armed self
defense (IMO) is only for when an aggressor forces the issue, and presents no
other options (to escape for example). In other words, a last resort where the
only choices are to fight or die.

>Your position somehow assumes you would win any such
>conflict, which, until tested, is an unsupportable position.

Three words: Training, training, training. Now I will readily admit that no
amount of training will prepare someone for all situations, but I will also
state that if one straps on a gun, and does not seek out expert instruction and
regular training, then they _are_ a threat to their own safety.

>Obviously, your probability is MUCH, MUCH higher of being one of them,
>because you are armed.

Why? Maybe it is because of my education, but I can look at any home, and spot
several ways to inflict great bodily harm to myself, without looking too hard.
Many of these methods do not require traditional weapons.

In other words, if I want to end my chapter, I do not need a gun.

>My chance of being a
>gun-inflicted suicide is 0.00%... yours is more (maybe you don't suffer
>from depression now, and maybe no temporary personal tragedy has made
>you despondent... but if such things do happen [of course, I do not wish
>them on you]...)

Suicide by gun is a messy affair. I know it is a method used by many, but the
chance of failing to complete the task exists, and I would prefer more certain
methods. HOWEVER, I do not worry that my death will come at my own purposeful
hand. I enjoy life too much, and I do not worry too much about my personal
future turning out to change that negatively.

>Moreover, some of the rest are accidents.

Cannot refute that one. Natural Selection anyone?

>As for homicide, well, you're far more likely to be either a victim or a
>killer.  If you are armed, it is quite possible that an angry loved one
>would have access to that gun.... and no doubt regret shooting you after
>his/her anger cooled.

I think she would prefer a kitchen knife. YMMV. ;)

>And should you be mugged on the street by a
>stranger, your chance of walking away dead (rather than just with less
>money), are MANY times higher if you pull a gun on your assailant.

I will refer to my comments above, and again restate, that as a civilian, I
believe firearms are a last ditch effort, kind of like nuclear weapons. Only
"push the button" if you are screwed if you do not. Deployment of a weapon (any
weapon) must be considered with extreme prudence. Now I will agree that this is
not often the case, and that is what causes many of the negative statistics. I
will also agree that persons who cannot or will not exercise the required
discretion should not carry weapons.

>Yes, because firearm owners ALWAYS get the drop on the bad duys, and
>NEVER take one in the gut themselves.

NEVER say NEVER. Life is not scripted. I do not believe in fate.

>I think (though I don't know), from self-defense courses run by police
>a long, long time ago at a university far, far away, that your
>statement alone actually /elevates/ the probability that you will be
>one of them.

Times are a changin'. Different studies, and different ways of thought, result
in different conclusions. Again, based on the individuals training and
discipline, this concept can be either true or false. They used to preach
passiveness in rape-survival, acquiesce and live another day. Often the current
advice is opposite.

>To /lower/ the probability, you'll need to talk about the
>time you've spent on a tactical course or in police training.

Many, many, many hours (hint, hint). More than the average (citizen) bear. And
that friends, IMO, is the real problem.

What the heck does all this have to do with Python? Perhaps a different, but
topically improper Python: http://www.colt.com/CMCI/Python.asp

Off to the range.