IDLE function 'tooltips'

Asun Friere afriere at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Aug 4 22:22:12 EDT 2003

unendliche at hanmail.net (Seo Sanghyeon) wrote in message news:<45e6545c.0308040307.49eb580c at posting.google.com>...

> You can turn it off by editing IDLE's extension config file. In case of
> Python 2.3 on Windows XP, make a file named "config-extensions.cfg" under
> .idlerc directory, which would be under your home directory. And write:
>
> [CallTips]
> enable = 0

Thanks a tonne!  I'm not an IDLE user (my usual 'IDE' is 3 terminal
windows, one with the intepreter running, one with vi running, and the
other simply at the shell), but I thought I would check it out.  It's
kind of handy when there are longer functions you want to write out
(and might not get right the first time), but you don't necessarily
need to commit them to file.  It was a hassle having to keep my eyes
closed while I supplied arguments to functions though.  Just seeing
the call tip instantly made me forget what I was about to write. (And
I'm not even a blonde!)  Though it would be a nice feature on the
occasions you are using an unfamiliar function.

I don't use Windows, but I found 'config-extensions.def' in the the
'idelib' directory and made the change there.  Just knowing that they
are called 'CallTips' was a great help.

> It would be nice to make this configurable in the configuration dialog.
> Perhaps you must submit this one as a feature request?

Its so obvious a candidate for a configuration dialog, I don't really
think such a request would be necessary ;)

Thanks again.