Larry Wall's comment on python...

Courageous jkraska at san.rr.com
Wed Oct 2 02:38:51 EDT 2002

>Hard practice has shown me that intermixed tabs in files with multiple
>developers on a project using cvs or some other common tool *always*
>ends up with formatting conflicts. As a consequence, I globally replace
>all tabs in all files as I encounter them with runs of 4 spaces, even in
>C++ and other languages.

Thinking about this, I realized I didn't correctly describe my behavior.
Most often, the replacement is runs of 8. The objective function is, of
course, to replace with spaces such that the resulting replacement is
correctly formatted in all normal editors for all time, irrespective of
tabstop choice.

C//