Larry Wall's comment on python...

Andreas Leitgeb Andreas.Leitgeb at siemens.at
Wed Oct 2 03:55:35 EDT 2002

Courageous <jkraska at san.rr.com> wrote:
>>Hard practice has shown me that intermixed tabs in files with multiple
>>developers on a project using cvs or some other common tool *always*
>>ends up with formatting conflicts. As a consequence, I globally replace
>>all tabs in all files as I encounter them with runs of 4 spaces, even in
>>C++ and other languages.

Having had the same (even worse) problem in my current project,
(worse, because we inherited code with inconsequent tabbing, and
the developers insist on using their favourite editors, one of
which only supports 8-sized-tabs) I strongly feel like running
some tab-killer directly on the *,v repository-files.

But don't forget:  Don't forget to make an exception for Makefiles!
  a Makefile *needs* tabs, or it'll fail to work.
Are there other common "languages" that really need tabs ?