Will python binaries compiled on vs.net?

Tim Peters tim.one at comcast.net
Mon Nov 18 11:53:33 EST 2002

[Alexander Semenov]
> I'm using python on win32, and recently moved to most current MS
> C compiler VS.NET (VS7).

> Unfortunately there are incompatibility beetween python binary
> python.exe built by vs6 and modules built by vs7. VS7 used new
> msvcrt.dll (msvcr70.dll) and msvcp70.dll. If you malloced memory by
> msvcrt.dll and free it by msvcr70.dll you probably get a crash.

I haven't tried it myself, but others have also reported incompatibilities
(read "crashes") due to mixing file operations across the MS runtimes.
Apparently MS C's internal file locking scheme gets fatally confused then.

> So I cant build modules from sources now.

I don't understand why you can't build from source.

> I know, python compiles on vc7, I even succesfully tried to
> compile it, but recompiling all of modules I use may become a PITA.

PITA != can't.

> Especially modules like PyWin32 or PIL. Some modules will be better
> built by authors.

That's certainly so, but unless MS makes a suitable compiler available at no
cost, I expect many authors simply *can't* recompile.  Indeed, PythonLabs is
in that boat:  we don't have a version of VC7 with an optimizing compiler,
and I've detected no signs that my employer is keen to buy one.  Even if
they were, because VC6 is still in much wider use, it would also require
committing to two distinct Windows builds, and all the new headaches that
come with going from "one" to "two".

> So, my question is: when python binaries will be built by VS7? I
> think it force authors of popular modules rebuilt it too. I know,
> this makes problems for people with vs6, but now vs7 is most current
> realize from MS.

I don't foresee PythonLabs getting into the VC7 business anytime soon:
there are monetary and human costs we can't afford.  Perhaps ActiveState
will, and/or the Python Business Forum will fund a VC7 effort, but I don't
know.