Embedded Threading Question

Thorsten Goertz thorsten at goertz.com
Thu Nov 7 16:41:33 EST 2002

Tim Dietz wrote:

> When I test the module within the Python interpreter from
> DOS, it's happy as a clam.  But, the problem is that when I
> include the exact same module within the application, the
> app hangs forever and I have to kill the process.

You should give us some more information about your code.
How do you initialize the embedded Python interpreter? Is
your C/C++ code that will be called from Python thread safe?
Is it always from Python to C or sometimes the other way around?

> How can I find out if the DLL that we're using supports
> threads?  If it does, is there anything special I need to
> do to get them working fully in my app?

Are you using the installer from python.org? With 2.2.x I
make heavy use of the embedded interpreter in a
multithreaded application and it works very well in both
directions, from C++ to python and (call-) back.

> I am using the thread module as the threading module won't
> work at all under the application.

Again, you should show us some code...