Embedded Threading Question

Tim Dietz tpdietz at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 7 15:15:03 EST 2002

Hi All,

We have an application built using C++Builder 3, which
provides a memo that acts as a python interpreter.  The
dll the app is communication with is python22.dll.  Stdout
is redirected to a different window.  All works quite well.

Now, we are trying to add python modules that act as a TCP
client.  I've provided a read thread that continuously
polls the socket for incoming packets.  When a packet is
detected, it is massaged a bit and then stuffed into a Queue.
There is another thread that is waiting for the Queue to go
not-empty, then grab the data and call a function to process
it.

When I test the module within the Python interpreter from
DOS, it's happy as a clam.  But, the problem is that when I
include the exact same module within the application, the
app hangs forever and I have to kill the process.

How can I find out if the DLL that we're using supports
threads?  If it does, is there anything special I need to
do to get them working fully in my app?

I am using the thread module as the threading module won't
work at all under the application.

Thanks,

Tim