Python 2.2.1 Windows / install variables ?

Mark Hammond mhammond at skippinet.com.au
Mon May 13 23:17:31 EDT 2002

Rich Pinder wrote:
> Firstly, I did try uninstalling, loggin in as root, re'installing - no
> difference. (but my user profile is setup so I do have install
> priviliges on the machine)
>
> There isnt really a 'per user' option that I see with this installer
> .... but under advanced options you can select 'Admin install' or
> 'Non-admin install'.  Is this what you're thinking about ?  It really
> has to do with where you write the .dll's and other stuff executable
> stuff.  Both would work for any user, but if you're installing, and you
> dont have wrtie permissions to system32 directory, 'Non-admin install'
> would allow you to still install the software.

That is what I was thinking of.  If I understand correctly, another
side-effect of that option is that HKEY_CURRENT_USER is used rather than
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  I am guessing that the 3rd party extensions are
looking only on HKLM for the "InstallPath" registry entry and not
finding it.

I could obviously be off-base though.

Mark.