Python 2.2.1 Windows / install variables ?

Thomas Heller theller at python.net
Tue May 14 04:46:07 EDT 2002

"Mark Hammond" <mhammond at skippinet.com.au> wrote in message news:3CE08209.9040908 at skippinet.com.au...
> Rich Pinder wrote:
> > Firstly, I did try uninstalling, loggin in as root, re'installing - no
> > difference. (but my user profile is setup so I do have install
> > priviliges on the machine)
> >
> > There isnt really a 'per user' option that I see with this installer
> > .... but under advanced options you can select 'Admin install' or
> > 'Non-admin install'.  Is this what you're thinking about ?  It really
> > has to do with where you write the .dll's and other stuff executable
> > stuff.  Both would work for any user, but if you're installing, and you
> > dont have wrtie permissions to system32 directory, 'Non-admin install'
> > would allow you to still install the software.
>
> That is what I was thinking of.  If I understand correctly, another
> side-effect of that option is that HKEY_CURRENT_USER is used rather than
> HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.  I am guessing that the 3rd party extensions are
> looking only on HKLM for the "InstallPath" registry entry and not
> finding it.

The bdist_wininst installer (which was used to build PyXML, and probably
also the other extensions you want to install) DOES look for HKEY_CURRENT_USER
if no entry is found under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

I have tried everything I can think of to reproduce the behaviour you
describe: Logged in with a non-admin account on my machine (Win2K, SP1),
installed Python-2.1.3 with non-admin option, installed
PyXML-0.7.1-win32-py2.1.exe, removed it again, also removed Python 2.1.3 again.
Everything worked without the problem you described.

There were some problems (bugs) though:
1. The PyXML installer complained that it couldn't write into the registry
(the uninstallation info) with some error messages - it should probably
write this info into the HKEY_CURRENT_USER branch.
2. I was able to run the uninstaller for Python extensions installed
under an ADMIN account before (it was not able to remove the registry
uninstall info) - it seems bdist_wininst should check for proper permissions
for this.
(I will submit bugreports to sf and assign them to myself).

Rich, can you look up the entries in your registry? The windows installer
looks under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRRENT_USER for the keys
Software\Python\PythonCore\<version>\InstallPath, where <version>
is 2.0, 2.1, 2.2 and so on?

Thomas