win32 extension: rare PythonService problem

Zihong Lu zihong at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 9 15:40:55 EST 2002

I have run into a rare case, wonder if it happened to anyone before.

I use the win32 extension PythonService to write a windows service for our
project.  The service runs fine on most NT, win2k machines.  Recently our
customers reported that for some PCs, the command "python MyService.py
start" returned as usual, no traceback, but the service did not start at
all.  When I looked into it, I found that the constructor __init__ of the
top class MyService(derived from win32serviceutil.ServiceFramework)  did not
get called at all, not to mention the function SvcDoRun() was not called.
So it excluded the possibility that our application functions had problem.

The environments are:

Python version: 2.1.1
win32 extension: win32all-145.exe from
http://starship.python.net/crew/mhammond/win32/Downloads.html
OS: NT (with service pack 6), win2k (with service pack 2)
hardware: Intel celeron, 128 MB ram.  (I am not sure if they are related,
but I did see 2 celeron machines ran into this problem, put them here just
in case)

Can someone please tell me what went wrong in these cases?  Thanks in
advance.

-Zihong