HP-UX 10.2 deprecated?

Michael Piotrowski mxp at dynalabs.de
Tue Mar 5 15:13:19 EST 2002

martin at v.loewis.de (Martin v. Loewis) writes:

> weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com (Greg Weeks) writes:
>
>> Is HP-UX 10.2 deprecated for more recent versions of Python?
>
> Not specifically. HP-UX is deprecated :-) Seriously, it is only as
> good on any platform as Python users care about it being. None of the
> regular Python contributors has access to HP-UX, so any problem
> reported and any patch suggested is hearsay. Unfortunately, the
> patches often tend to break things on systems that the patch authors
> have no access to. Sometimes, patches must be rejected because they
> *obviously* break things on other systems, so the problem that the
> patch submitter wanted to fix remains unfixed.

I was able to get some HP-UX related fixes into 2.2, but there are
still some open problems on HP-UX (somewhere on SourceForge), for
which I lacked the time for further investigation. I'm not currently
using Python, but I'd nevertheless offer to cooperate with anybody
interested in better support for HP-UX (10.20 and 11)--I'm just not
motivated enough to do it alone.

>> PS: Here's the problem with the Python 2.2 ./configure for HP-UX 10.2.  To
>> determine if _POSIX_THREADS is defined in unistd.h, it runs the C
>> preprocessor on a file with the contents:
>>
>> #include <unistd.h>
>>      #ifdef _POSIX_THREADS
>>      yes
>>      #endif
>>
>> Unfortunately, with the C preprocessor invocation used by ./configure, the
>> indented #ifdef is not recognized, which results in the #ifdef construct
>> being mindlessly echoed, which is erroneously interpreted as the answer
>> "yes".  This causes _POSIX_THREADS to not be defined in pyconfig.h,
>> resulting in a bunch of undefined thread-related functions at link time.
>
> What C compiler? I doubt that aCC (which is available for 10.20 as
> well) has this problem; do not use the bundled C compiler for anything.

aCC is the C++ compiler; the unbundled ANSI C compiler is cc. But
since the OP was able to compile Python, I doubt he used the bundled
compiler--you wouldn't get that far with a K&R compiler, I think.

My guess is that, like this problem, most problems on HP-UX are in
configure. 10.20 and threads is, ahem, a bit problematic; the DCE
threads are _not_ POSIX threads.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <mxp at dynalabs.de>