HP-UX 10.2 deprecated?

Martin v. Loewis martin at v.loewis.de
Tue Mar 5 01:32:14 EST 2002

weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com (Greg Weeks) writes:

> Is HP-UX 10.2 deprecated for more recent versions of Python?

Not specifically. HP-UX is deprecated :-) Seriously, it is only as
good on any platform as Python users care about it being. None of the
regular Python contributors has access to HP-UX, so any problem
reported and any patch suggested is hearsay. Unfortunately, the
patches often tend to break things on systems that the patch authors
have no access to. Sometimes, patches must be rejected because they
*obviously* break things on other systems, so the problem that the
patch submitter wanted to fix remains unfixed.

> PS: Here's the problem with the Python 2.2 ./configure for HP-UX 10.2.  To
> determine if _POSIX_THREADS is defined in unistd.h, it runs the C
> preprocessor on a file with the contents:
>
> #include <unistd.h>
>      #ifdef _POSIX_THREADS
>      yes
>      #endif
>
> Unfortunately, with the C preprocessor invocation used by ./configure, the
> indented #ifdef is not recognized, which results in the #ifdef construct
> being mindlessly echoed, which is erroneously interpreted as the answer
> "yes".  This causes _POSIX_THREADS to not be defined in pyconfig.h,
> resulting in a bunch of undefined thread-related functions at link time.

What C compiler? I doubt that aCC (which is available for 10.20 as
well) has this problem; do not use the bundled C compiler for anything.

Regards,
Martin