HP-UX 10.2 deprecated?

Michael Piotrowski mxp at dynalabs.de
Wed Mar 6 08:29:57 EST 2002

weeks at vitus.scs.agilent.com (Greg Weeks) writes:

> Michael Piotrowski (mxp at dynalabs.de) wrote:
> : aCC is the C++ compiler; the unbundled ANSI C compiler is cc. But
> : since the OP was able to compile Python, I doubt he used the bundled
> : compiler--you wouldn't get that far with a K&R compiler, I think.
>
> In the Makefile, the compiler was "cc -Ae", which is the ANSI
> compiler plus extensions.  However, in "configure", plain old cc was
> used, and that is the K&R compiler in HP-UX 10.2 (but not in HP-UX
> 11).  This is the compiler that misunderstood the indented compiler
> directives.

When the ANSI C compiler is installed, cc always calls this compiler,
but without -Aa or -Ae it operates in K&R mode on 10.20.  To ensure
that -Ae is always used, you can either say

   CC='cc -Ae' ./configure

or you can set

   export CCOPTS=-Ae

The CCOPTS environment variable is also very handy for adding
additional include paths, etc. for cc.

> : My guess is that, like this problem, most problems on HP-UX are in
> : configure. 10.20 and threads is, ahem, a bit problematic; the DCE
> : threads are _not_ POSIX threads.
>
> It sounds like I'm lucky that my Python 1.5.2 threads are working on
> HP-UX 10.2!  I should perhaps just be content with that?

That's not what I meant ;-) If a program supports DCE threads, no
problem.  But if a program thinks you've got POSIX threads while you
really only have DCE threads you'll run into trouble.

--
Michael Piotrowski, M.A.                                  <mxp at dynalabs.de>