Python on W2K server and dos batch files?

Chris Barker Chris.Barker at noaa.gov
Thu Mar 7 13:22:03 EST 2002

Mark Kingston wrote:
> Thanks Anthony.  I downloaded the ActiveState and it has very good
> documentation.  Can you please tell me what TK is?

TK is a GUI toolkit written for TCL, that has been wrapped for use by
Python (and other languages). In Python it is known as Tkinter. Tkinter
is not the offical GUI toolkit for Python, but it is the only one
included with the standdard distribution.

Personally, I like wxPython better: I think it produces a more native
looking app, is faster, and I just like how it is put together better.
Most of this is just personal preference. The one truly compelling
reason to use TK is the wonderful canvas widget, but you don't seem to
have a need for that.

At first look, TK seems to be quicker and easier and require less code
to build a GUI, but my experience (and that of others) is that while you
can through something together faster with TK, once you tweek it to be
just how you want, and have a full blown application, you have written
more code than you would with wxPython. Also, the canvas asside,
wxPython has a bigger collection of higher level widgets than TK (A
spreadsheet like grid, an html window, etc.)

Take a look at the various docs on the web, and make a choice. Both will
probably fit your needs just fine, so it's down to personal preference.

While you're at it, check out PyQT as well.

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov