hotmail

Cameron Laird claird at starbase.neosoft.com
Fri Mar 1 20:14:11 EST 2002

In article <a5oko9$1s63$1 at norfair.nerim.net>,
Gillou <nospam at bigfoot.com> wrote:
>If you got a pop3 access to your hotmail account, have a look at the
>"poplib" package. This is the easiest way.
>
>If you can only read your mail through Web pages, I think that "urllib"
>(performs HTTP GET/POST requests and retrieve Web pages) and "htmllib"
>(simple HTML parser) will help you for that job. But it's harder.
			.
			.
			.
POP3 is *much* easier, whenever practical.

As admirable as urllib and htmllib are, this sort of "Web
scraping" invariably turns out to be hard, hard work.  The
sites most in need of automatic processing are generally
barricaded behind cookies and other impedimenta that are a
poor fit for urllib--and it's best we not talk about the
parseability of their HTML!

Those who insist on scraping should read <URL: http://
www.unixreview.com/documents/s=1820/uni1011713175619/0201i.htm >
If you do so, you're only a couple of clicks more from
locating <URL: http://www.hawkins.emu.id.au/gotmail/ >, "a
neat little utility to download mail from a HotMail account
..."
--

Cameron Laird <Cameron at Lairds.com>
Business:  http://www.Phaseit.net