[OT] Corrections about Java

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Jul 9 05:08:57 EDT 2002

* Bo M. Maryniuck <b.maryniuk at forbis.lt> [2002-07-09 10:41 +0200]:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2002 01:18, curt finch wrote:
> >  Issues and concerns
> > ·         No compiler to the native code.
> Aha, sure. Java -- "write once and debug everywhere". Ask them what is JVM [...]

Java compilers that output machine code exist. Even the GNU compiler
family has one. I have read everything from horror stories to
performance improvements for the commercial ones.

> > ·         Lacks native threading capabilities.
> Really? Just do:
>
> import thread
> import threading

The difference is that Java has some support in the language (only the
"synchronized" keyword, AFAIK) that supports synchronized methods and
objects. Python's higher-level threading module was modelled after
Java's and has everything Java has. It even has Queue.Queue, which Java
hasn't. Python's features for thread synchronization also appear a lot
more flexible than Java's to me.

> > ·         Python cannot write docstrings in C++.
> What is this (anybody understood this?).

Extension modules can of course have docstrings.

> > ·         Python is difficult to read.
> Aha, sure:
> #!/usr/bin/perl -w
> [...]

See signature :)

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930