PyXPCOM and SVG

Trent Mick trentm at ActiveState.com
Wed Jul 24 15:11:10 EDT 2002

[Johann Höchtl wrote]
> Hello !
>
> I was thinking of using Mozillas new SVG and/or the gecko rendering
> engine and XUL capabilities in a wxpython-application using PyXPCOM
> bindings.

Phew. I don't know how you would mix XUL and wxPython. They are
independent graphical systems with their own message frameworks, widget
sets, etc.

> First of all: is this the right track to follow?

I don't know. I would think not, though.

> I was rather unhappy when i noticed that his requires me to build
> mozilla and PyXPCOM from sources.
>
> Are there technical reasons why there are no binary packages available?
> Or is the reason it's almost commercial background as it is used in the
> Komodo IDE? That means is there a legal or licence issue?

There are no legal/license issues. PyXPCOM has been released to the
Mozilla source tree under the MPL (an open source license). The
technical reasons why there are no binary Mozilla-with-PyXPCOM releases
are that (1) mozilla.org does not do it because PyXPCOM is a non-default
extension and they generally don't have the resources to provide binary
builds for all possible configurations, (2) it is not a simple task to
build Mozilla and PyXPCOM so noone in the community is doing it that I
am aware of.

Trent

--
Trent Mick