j2ee vs. python (and what our evil competitors are saying about python)

Gerhard Häring gerhard.haering at gmx.de
Tue Jul 9 06:37:58 EDT 2002

* Bo M. Maryniuck <b.maryniuk at forbis.lt> [2002-07-09 12:18 +0200]:
> On Tuesday 09 July 2002 11:56, Boudewijn Rempt wrote:
> > It's part of the kdebindings module:
> > http://developer.kde.org/language-bindings/java/index.html
>
> AFAIK, QT isn't KDE, right? It actually, *is*, [...]

No, Qt exists in non-GPL versions for win32 and Mac. The Java binding
will most likely just work there, too.

> And you can not use Java for very small and fast programs (console
> use) -- it'll start a half of hour...

FUD.

gerhard at lilith:~$ javac nothing.java
gerhard at lilith:~$ time java nothing     # IBM JDK 1.3.1

real	0m0.651s
user	0m0.560s
sys	0m0.110s
gerhard at lilith:~$ gcj -o nothing nothing.java --main=nothing
gerhard at lilith:~$ time ./nothing

real	0m0.113s
user	0m0.100s
sys	0m0.010s
gerhard at lilith:~$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor	: 0
model name	: Celeron (Mendocino)
cpu MHz		: 498.011

processor	: 1
model name	: Celeron (Mendocino)
stepping	: 5
cpu MHz		: 498.011
[...]

Once you use lots of classes, there are some problems with startup time.
Because of bytecode verification and all that.

> And also not for very-very-very large projects with GUI and other
> stuff. I've seen no one success project, written on Java.

I have. One. Both GUI (formerly VJ++/WFC, then converted to Swing) and
backend (Intershop Enfinity - eCommerce engine, EJB, Oracle, XML,
CORBA).

> Even all the tools from the Oracle 8i-9i -- they always mostly fails
> or crashes in the middle of the work (JDeveloper, Oracle Installer,
> OAS etc). :(

Oracle developers apparently have no clue about 1) Writing installers.
2) Writing client-side Java that doesn't look crappy and actually works.

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930