j2ee vs. python (and what our evil competitors are saying about python)

Bo M. Maryniuck b.maryniuk at forbis.lt
Tue Jul 9 07:08:04 EDT 2002

On Tuesday 09 July 2002 12:37, Gerhard Häring wrote:
> gerhard at lilith:~$ time java nothing     # IBM JDK 1.3.1
>
> real	0m0.651s
> user	0m0.560s
> sys	0m0.110s

Cool time for _nothing_. BTW, can You "cat nothing.java" here? How much lines
that "nothing" took?
bo at toaster:(~) time python -c ''

real    0m0.058s
user    0m0.030s
sys     0m0.000s

Emmm... I remember, You asked me antique car. ;-) See this:
*bo at sfas:(~) time python -c ''

real    0m0.384s
user    0m0.330s
sys     0m0.060s

*bo at sfas:(~) cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor       : 0
model name      : Pentium 75 - 200
cpu MHz         : 149.696

*bo at sfas:(~) java
bash: java: command not found

> Once you use lots of classes, there are some problems with startup time.
> Because of bytecode verification and all that.
Actually, this "problem" seems to be in Python too, especially if You use same
antique car, like my P75 with 150 mhz.

> Oracle developers apparently have no clue about
> 1) Writing installers.
> 2) Writing client-side Java that doesn't look crappy and actually works.

Yes, that's right. Here I fully agree with You. Anyway, let us both to
shutdown this nonsence thread. :)

--
Sincerely yours, Bogdan M. Maryniuck

"It's God.  No, not Richard Stallman, or Linus Torvalds, but God."
(By Matt Welsh)