What does Python fix?

Mike C. Fletcher mcfletch at rogers.com
Fri Jan 18 16:11:48 EST 2002

Just to play devil's advocate (and I prefer top-posting as well, as it
provides the opportunity to write a properly crafted rhetorical letter
;) , not a fragmented and disjointed attempt to mimic conversation):

	The greatest minds of all time have almost invariably failed to follow
the cultural norms of their time.  The eccentric genius, the artisan,
and the rebel are the archetypes charged with the ability to push
society forward, explore new boundaries, and define new norms for the
society.

	Sure, sometimes the rebellion is just a flaunting of the rules of
society.  Sure, sometimes its manipulation by forces seeking control of
the society (money) (the "counter-cultural clothing" industry, for
instance).  But this doesn't mean that we should instantly dismiss those
who feel it necessary or preferable to venture beyond the boundaries
that some "elite" among us have set up.

	We are not _required_ to listen, of course.  But as a society, do we
really want to become so rigid and assured of our own truths and ideals
that we are unable to even listen to viewpoints, ideas or forms which
don't match our world-view?  We are, after all, the _Python_ list, known
for discussions of everything from esoteric points of grammar through
time-travel conspiracy theories.

IMO, it is silly to focus too much on the forms, to ossify ourselves
into a strict and fussy set of guidelines, or to demand that all comers
pass a bar of peculiar social niceties before we will grant them the
respect we reserve for humans.  Top-posting is a trivial and arguable
offense, some (myself included) even consider it the polite approach, we
will hopefully not splinter the group over the issue, as I'd miss your
posts Aahz :> .

We must allow them to break Rule 6 sometimes ;) ,
Mike

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> Tell me, if you're not willing to follow cultural norms, why should
> people pay attention to you?

   Mike C. Fletcher
   http://members.rogers.com/mcfletch/