What does Python fix?

Joseph A Knapka jknapka at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 18 16:20:27 EST 2002

Aahz Maruch wrote:

> In article <101aca4.0201180912.288820ce at posting.google.com>,
> JMarttila <martti at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> >
> >Thank you Mark. I often read newsgroups through Google, as I am doing
> >now. I usually want to scream. "PLEASE TOP POST!" When I read a
> >newsgroup, I have already read the discussion. So I vastly prefer when
> >someone just puts their response AT THE TOP.
>
> Tell me, if you're not willing to follow cultural norms, why should
> people pay attention to you?

That's a silly argument. Sometimes people who break cultural
norms are *exactly* the people you ought to be listening to.
Martin Luther King Jr. did it; good thing we Americans listened,
eh?

I agree with everything Mr. Marttilla wrote about Google:
it is a severe PITA to follow a discussion there, when
everyone is following cultural norms re. posting style.
However, if people are really clipping irrelevancies and
quoting only the parts of a post that they're concerned
with, it is a very pleasant reading experience. Also, for
those of us with real newsreaders :-), it's often not
possible to find a relevant part of the discussion, if
the article in question has expired.

Cheers, and further-off-topicly-yrs,

-- Joe
"I should like to close this book by sticking out any part of my neck
 which is not yet exposed, and making a few predictions about how the
 problem of quantum gravity will in the end be solved."
 --- Physicist Lee Smolin, "Three Roads to Quantum Gravity"