OT: top-posting vs. inline responses

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Jan 20 16:32:00 EST 2002

> From: Steve Holden [mailto:sholden at holdenweb.com]
>
> On Fri, 18 Jan 2002 11:42, Mark McEahern wrote:
> > Paul Jackson wrote:
> > > Does someone have a simple explanation of why such
> > > top posting is bad form?  I don't like it either,
> > > but I am unable to articulate why I don't like it.
> >
> > I personally don't mind top-posting.  It beats the hell out
> of someone who
> > lazily quotes pages upon pages of text and then says at the
> bottom, "Yeah,
> > I agree."
>
> Frankly, I would rather someone whose only contribution to
> the discussion is
> "I agree" didn't post at all, since it is a fundamental negation of
> netiquette to do so. Whether at the top or the bottom of the
> quoted post.

Can I resist? Can I resist?

No...

I agree.

Personally, I find it a real trial - Outlook is mandated at work, and it can
be really difficult to avoid top-posting - especially when *other* people
insist that your send rtf or html messages in reply so that *their*
formatting isn't lost ... which means their text is indented, and if you try
to intersperse your comments they end up indented as well :(

Tim Delaney