Autocoding project proposal.

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Fri Jan 25 14:39:12 EST 2002

On 25-Jan-02 12:34:23 Steve Holden <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote:
>"Timothy Rue" <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote ...
>[ ... lots of stuff ...]
>> I also believe such efforts to automate such a coding process qualifies as
>> genuine software engineering, as opposed to psuedo software engineering.
>>
>You can, of course, believe what you like (and apparently do). Personally I
>would say _success_ at automating such a coding process *might* qualify as
>genuine software engineering. But you appear to reject all the conventional
>trappings of the engineering approach in favor of an inscrutable network of
>semantics which, as far as I can tell, has meaning only for you.

Imagine what people having long used Roman Numerals said abou the
hindu-arabic decimal system. Or even Better about how nothing could mean
something (the zero).

>[ ... ]
>>
>> I simple want to get a tool built that can be useful to all of us, allow
>> me and others to do alot more.
>>
>> I'm sorry you seem to have a problem with that.

>Way back in the 1980's, someone wrote a program called "The Last One", which
>was intended to do all future programming for us. Nobody, we were told,
>would ever need to program again, as the programming would be done by "The
>Last One" and we would simply describe our tasks to it (isn't that
>programming anyway?). I seem to remember they even had the nerve to bring
>out "The Last One, Version 2", which was an implicit admission of failure.
>Don't see anyone using it now...

Never heard of it.

>The criticism of your code is justified from an engineering point of view.
>If you can't eat that you won't get anywhere in software development.

What criticism? what engineering POV?

>But good luck anyway.

>regards
> Steve
>--
>Consulting, training, speaking: http://www.holdenweb.com/
>Python Web Programming: http://pydish.holdenweb.com/pwp/

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<