I need your experience - classification and comparison of languages

Yvan Radenac yvan.radenac at equant.com
Tue Jan 22 03:07:57 EST 2002

Michael Chermside <mcherm at destiny.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1011630571.24947.python-list at python.org>...
> Two questions for Yvan:
>
>   (1) I am curious why YOU are compiling this classification if "[you
>       are] not programmer, analyst or responsible of projects and the
>       criterias are subjective" (Sic). Perhaps you'd be better off going
>       with data from someone else who has already tried to classify
>       languages? There are many such comparisons available on the web.
>
>   (2) Can you make your survey a little more clear? I'd be willing to
>       fill it out (so far as I am qualified), but I can't really tell
>       what you want me to do! A straightforward listing of questions
>       with ratings/answers listed at the top would be nice -- if it looks
>       quick and easy to fill out I'd probably be willing to help
>       (although I doubt you would learn anything useful this way).
>
> -- Michael Chermside

I'm not now a programmer but i'm in a course of software engineering.
I maded some personal software with Turbo Pascal and some scripts with
the shell of Unix.
Why choose that kind of subject:
- because i use GNU/Linux and i think that public software is a great
thing.
- i'm interesting in programming, and particularly in oo because i'm
curious and perhaps i will program.

I post it to have the point of view of programmer, responsible of
project, ... cause of their different experience(s).
The real goal it's just to propose some tables to find the right
language for a type of deveolpment.
I think that each language have its own area of applications for a
type of development:
like Perl for rapidly create a test cleint for a smtp server
developped in C ...
I'm not interesting , YOU TOO a suppose, to find the badiest or the
best language but just the most usefull language for a area of
applications and a type of develpment (rapid, big project, ...).
I tried to find the most general criterias which be applied on each
language.
I use this interview to obtain a real result by a average of all
result.