Help: I want a chat script!

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Sat Feb 9 23:38:34 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Flavian Hardcastle" <deathtospam43423 at altavista.com>

> "Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote in
> news:mailman.1013306296.2115.python-list at python.org:
>
> > Let's go over this step-by-step.  First, what web server did you
> > download? Most docs assume Apache.
> >
> It's called Lil' HTTP server by Summit Communications Networks
> http://www.summitcn.com/lilhttp/lildocs.html

Let me quote from their home page:

! CGI Directory — This is the ONLY directory that Win32 CGI's can be run
! from!  CGI's placed in any other directory will be transferred to the
client
! rather than executed on the server.   Lil HTTP will only execute Win32
CGI's.
! These CGI's are actually Windows 32-bit programs with either the
! extension .CGI or .EXE.   PERL type CGI's cannot be executed on Lil' HTTP
at
! this time.

"PERL type CGI's" should be read "scripts".  You can't run Python, Perl,
Ruby,
Lua, etc. from this particular server.

Try Xitami.  It is quite compatible with Python.  http://xitami.com

> > You have a form (stored in a .html file or produced by a cgi script,
> > doesn't matter) which contains something like this:
> >
> >     <form method='POST' action='http://url.to.the/cgi-bin/script'>
> >
> > "script" must be a script file in the cgi-bin directory.  You probably
> > can shortcut it like this:
> >
> >     <form method='POST' action='/cgi-bin/script'>
> >
> > and this is probably better.
> >
> The actual text on my html form is
>
>     <FORM method="post" Action="script.cgi">
>
> I have tried changing the file the file extension to script.text,
> script.dat, and even as you seem to recommend above, just script. I press
> the SEND button on the form and a blank form comes up, with the filename
> "script.cgi".
>
> > The 11.2 docs then describe how you decode the data sent by the form.
> >
> This is the problem. I write data on the form, but no data turns up in the
> file(?) Isn't there supposed to be?
>
> > If you are still having problems, please post code (and tell us what
> > webserver software you are using).
> >
> Thanx. Here's the form (minus the head and title)...

<< form omitted >>

The form looks good, but where is script.cgi?