Help: I want a chat script!

Flavian Hardcastle deathtospam43423 at altavista.com
Sat Feb 9 21:52:40 EST 2002

"Chris Gonnerman" <chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net> wrote in
news:mailman.1013306296.2115.python-list at python.org:

> Let's go over this step-by-step.  First, what web server did you
> download? Most docs assume Apache.

It's called Lil' HTTP server by Summit Communications Networks
http://www.summitcn.com/lilhttp/lildocs.html

> You have a form (stored in a .html file or produced by a cgi script,
> doesn't matter) which contains something like this:
>
>     <form method='POST' action='http://url.to.the/cgi-bin/script'>
>
> "script" must be a script file in the cgi-bin directory.  You probably
> can shortcut it like this:
>
>     <form method='POST' action='/cgi-bin/script'>
>
> and this is probably better.

The actual text on my html form is

    	<FORM method="post" Action="script.cgi">

I have tried changing the file the file extension to script.text,
script.dat, and even as you seem to recommend above, just script. I press
the SEND button on the form and a blank form comes up, with the filename
"script.cgi".

> The 11.2 docs then describe how you decode the data sent by the form.

This is the problem. I write data on the form, but no data turns up in the
file(?) Isn't there supposed to be?

> If you are still having problems, please post code (and tell us what
> webserver software you are using).

Thanx. Here's the form (minus the head and title)...

<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">

<P>

<FORM method="post" Action="script.cgi">

<INPUT NAME="name" Size=50 Type="text"> <B>Your Name</B><BR>
<INPUT NAME="email" Size=50 Type="text"> <B>Your E-Mail Address</B><BR>

<B>Would you like a reply? </B>
<INPUT TYPE="radio" NAME="reply" VALUE="yes"> <B>Yes</B> <INPUT
TYPE="radio" NAME="reply" VALUE="no"> <B>No</B><P>

<!-- This is the spot to specify your email address. -->
<INPUT TYPE="hidden" NAME="submitaddress" VALUE="user at server.com">

<B>Write to me below:</B><P>
<TEXTAREA NAME="feedback" ROWS=10 COLS=50></TEXTAREA><P>

<center>
<INPUT TYPE=submit Value="SEND">
<INPUT TYPE=reset Value="CLEAR">
</center>
</FORM>

--
"You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether
a man is wise by his questions."  Naguib Mahfouz

netvegetable at dingoblue.net.au