Defending the Python lanuage...

Hernan M. Foffani hfoffani at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 18:00:43 EST 2002

> > The idea behind pair programming is exactly that such rotations
should
> > take place. You seem to think that two prograqmmers are joined at
the
> > hip when teams are formed, but in fact the pairings arise fairly
> > spontaneously in most cases.
>
> Well, I obviously didn't know much about pair-programming at the
start of
> this thread (and I have learned quite a bit so far), so I was under
> mistaken impression regarding rotation.  Seen in this new light I
would
> have to reconsider my earlier position (although I still retain the
right
> to be skeptical ;).

I've been doing pair-prog for several years. But we didn't called like
that back then. :-) I bet most of you have had similar experiences
before.
Haven't you been sat side by side with a coworker for hours helping
him
find that elusive bug?
Didn't you been talking and discussing and typing and timing and
arguing
with your coleage trying to optimize that stuff that kept your
customer
whinning for days?
And what about when you had to redo that API like mad because the
specs
where wrong and you asked for an extra couple of eyes because you
needed
to be sure that your modifications break the minimun code as possible?

Maybe because of the challenge I had in that times or because of the
close relation you grow within team members or was it just me, I don't
know, but the sweetest moments of programming I remember more are
those
when I was doing some-kind-of "pair programming".

It's futil arguing about pair-programming per se. We've been doing it
for years!
But I concede that what is hard to accept, and so to adopt, is what
Cliff (I think he was) mentioned before: the "90% of the time" thing.

IMHO, I guess that is all about XP. Take a practice that works fine
and apply it in an extreme manner. In other words: all the time.

Regards,
-Hernan