Defending the Python lanuage...

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Fri Feb 1 10:54:44 EST 2002

"Rony" <rony.steelandt at bucodi.com> wrote ...

> I'm sorry but i definitifly don't agree with that, and here i'm
> speaking trough personnal experience !
> Somewhere beginning 90'ths my development team came to me saying it is
> time to abandon language X, that we were using, because now you have
> languge Y who has all the possible benefits; better librarys, faster
> development, blablabla...
> And i trusted my chief development engineer and said yes.
> To make a long story very short, the end of it was that the new
> language din't have all the necessary function we needed, they never
> found a solution (even not hired outside experts on that language) and
> we trowed away one man year of development. And that is reality...
> I know all the arguments, like your chief engineer didn't do his job
> and how comes that it took a year and .... but since i'm the owner of
> the company the problem  was mine at the end. So i'm convinced that
> managment has to be involved in such decissions.

Rony, I feel you are making the mistake of generalizing from your own
experience. This is perfectly understandable, and something we all do.
However, my own feeling is you should solve this problem not by becoming
better technically, but by becoming a better recruiter.

Ultimately your mistake ws not in trusting your chief engineer, but in
hiring an untrustworthy chief engineer.

Fortunately it seems that you do have a natural aptitude for technical
tasks, and so you are avoiding the problem in future by developing your
technical knowledge and, effectively, acting as chief technical officer as
well as manager.

regards
 Steve
--