Defending the Python lanuage...

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Fri Feb 1 14:20:58 EST 2002

news:<mailman.1012498757.26825.python-list at python.org>...
> > However, your last statement that managers make _all_ the decisions was
an
> > unfortunate one.  It's better if the technicians make the decisions and
> > then managers _approve_ them.  This may be splitting hairs, but when it
> > comes to deciding on things like what language to develop in, who is
going
> > to be better informed: the people /using/ that language or someone who
is
> > more focused on the overall picture?  Tool choices are a detail and
best
> > left to those using the tools.  Managers should focus on personnel
> > coordination, feature specifications, overall design, etc - the big
> > picture.  It's when they start trying to specify which
> > editor/debugger/compiler will be used that friction occurs.
>
> I'm sorry but i definitifly don't agree with that, and here i'm
> speaking trough personnal experience !

[snip]

> the company the problem  was mine at the end. So i'm convinced that
> managment has to be involved in such decissions.

If you reread my statement, I never suggested that the manager not be
/involved/, rather that he should give adequate weight to the engineer's
opinion.  Clearly the manager still needs to approve such decisions, but if
it is to be denied it needs to be for the right reasons and with
consideration to the future, not just the present.

These arguments may apply somewhat less to you, since your presence on this
list implies that you are actively pursuing technical knowledge, but in
general managers tend to be far less knowledgable on these things.

Regards,

--
Cliff Wells
Software Engineer

"Then with your new power you'll accomplish all sorts of cool stuff
 in no time, and We'll All Be Sorry.  At that point you can either
 gloat a bit, and then relent, or go ahead and send the robot army
 after us." - Quinn Dunkan