OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

John Roth johnroth at ameritech.net
Sun Feb 10 13:24:39 EST 2002

news:afe3b146.0202100036.f221c9a at posting.google.com...
news:<mailman.1012934533.15278.python-list at python.org>...
> > |"Martijn Faassen" <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote ...
> >
> > "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote
> > |Strange. I don't come across many other people who do this. I've
always
> > |thought my brain must have been differently wired for some reason
I'll never
> > |know.
> >
> > Same story for me.  I don't think it is that unusual though.
Culture is
> > sort of geared to the right-handed majority, so us folks who are
mostly
> > left-handed wind up learning the things they can do "well enough"
with
> > the right hand in the common style.  Once you've learned something,
> > propioceptic memory is more important than underlying "handedness."

I missed the start of this, so I'm jumping in the middle...

I do most things equally well with either hand. My father always
claimed that he lettered engineering drawings with whichever hand
was closest to the pencil (of course, he could have rigged where the
pencil was normally located...)

The science seems to be that there are obligatory right-handers
who can't do anything with their left, obligatory left-handers
who likewise can't do much with their right (about 2%, if I remember
the figures) and people who are more or less ambidexterous, who
have somewhat of a preference for one hand or the other, but can
use either.

The best security device I ever had was a disconnected mouse
that I left on the right side of my keyboard on the desktop. The
real mouse was on the left. I always got a kick out of watching
people try to use the mouse on my system, and failing...

John Roth