OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

Brian Lenihan brian_l at yahoo.com
Sun Feb 10 03:36:50 EST 2002

"Dr. David Mertz" <mertz at gnosis.cx> wrote in message news:<mailman.1012934533.15278.python-list at python.org>...
> |"Martijn Faassen" <m.faassen at vet.uu.nl> wrote ...
> |> I suppose it might be a brain thing. I use my left hand for writing and
> |> drawing while I use my right hand for more coarse-grained tasks, like
> |> throwing a ball and such.
>
> "Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote
> |Strange. I don't come across many other people who do this. I've always
> |thought my brain must have been differently wired for some reason I'll never
> |know.
>
> Same story for me.  I don't think it is that unusual though.  Culture is
> sort of geared to the right-handed majority, so us folks who are mostly
> left-handed wind up learning the things they can do "well enough" with
> the right hand in the common style.  Once you've learned something,
> propioceptic memory is more important than underlying "handedness."

I eat, write, mouse, and play golf right handed.  I kick equally well
with both feet, at least while playing soccer.  My surfing, skate
boarding, throwing, tennis, darts, archery and shooting are done
left-handed. My left eye is dominant. I agree with the cultural bias
against left-handers. However, nuns with rulers were probably
responsible for me writing with my right hand.  My mother is probably
responsible for me eating with my right hand. I play golf right-handed
because there were no left-handed clubs available to me when a learned
as a child.

I don't throw like a girl right-handed, so maybe I am actually
ambidextrous.

I have a brother who does everything right-handed except eating. He's
always been the stubborn one.

There-are-other-things-that-one-does-with-one-hand-or-the-other-but-we-don't-mention-ly-yours

Oh, and if throwing was really so "coarse-grained" I'd have been a
Major League pitcher.