OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

Jonathan Hogg jonathan at onegoodidea.com
Sat Feb 9 09:24:06 EST 2002

On 9/2/2002 0:56, in article
mailman.1013216835.14351.python-list at python.org, "Cliff Wells"
<logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:

> Aahz Maruch wrote:
>
>> I have to admit that I'm seriously thinking about an iMac, though.
>
> Yikes.  That's an expensive Linux box ;)

Hah! all smileys aside, you'd have to be mad to run Linux on it when it
comes with Mac OS X and all of Apple's free iApps. I get to run commercial
applications including the Adobe and Microsoft range, it's got full Java
support, runs all the UNIX apps I need including Apache, Python and
PostgreSQL, and is fun to use.

Stuff cygwin, there's no comparison when you have a full BSD under the hood.
And when Linux runs Photoshop, MS Office, IE, and Palm Desktop, I'll
consider using it as my main work OS.

I'd whole-heartedly recommend getting an iBook with Airport though unless
you need the extra speed of the new iMac or the DVD burner. It's cheaper,
has the same size screen, works on the sofa and my local coffee shop, gets 4
hours of battery life, and sleeps and wakes in an instant.

You don't realise how cool the latter is until you've used one for a while.
I've never seen a PC portable that got this licked. I close the lid and go
make a cup of tea. Come back, open the lid and continue where I left off.

Jonathan