OT: (ambi)dexterity of Pythonistas

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Sat Feb 9 11:29:43 EST 2002

In article <B88AE186.48CD%jonathan at onegoodidea.com>,
Jonathan Hogg  <jonathan at onegoodidea.com> wrote:
>On 9/2/2002 0:56, in article
>mailman.1013216835.14351.python-list at python.org, "Cliff Wells"
><logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net> wrote:
>> Aahz Maruch wrote:
>>>
>>> I have to admit that I'm seriously thinking about an iMac, though.
>>
>> Yikes.  That's an expensive Linux box ;)
>
>Hah! all smileys aside, you'd have to be mad to run Linux on it when it
>comes with Mac OS X and all of Apple's free iApps. I get to run commercial
>applications including the Adobe and Microsoft range, it's got full Java
>support, runs all the UNIX apps I need including Apache, Python and
>PostgreSQL, and is fun to use.
>
>I'd whole-heartedly recommend getting an iBook with Airport though unless
>you need the extra speed of the new iMac or the DVD burner. It's cheaper,
>has the same size screen, works on the sofa and my local coffee shop, gets 4
>hours of battery life, and sleeps and wakes in an instant.

My Apple-pushing partner told me that MacAddict says that G3 isn't
sufficient for running OS X.  I guess you feel differently?  The other
thing is that Apple's notebooks have traditionally been no more reliable
than PC notebooks, but the first generation iBooks were built like
tanks.  How true is it of the current generation?

Also, the screen sizes aren't exactly the same, but I'd say that 14.1"
is probably better for 1024x768 than 15" (I'd want 1152x864 for the
latter).  Looking at the Apple web site, actually, I think I'd just get
the 12" screen and use one of my existing external monitors at home.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"We should forget about small efficiencies, about 97% of the time.
Premature optimization is the root of all evil."  --Knuth