basic books/guides on multithreading programming?

Tripp Scott tripps81 at yahoo.com
Tue Feb 19 12:26:00 EST 2002

On 18/02/2002 11:09, Andrae Muys wrote:
>"End of Story" is a rather interesting way to summarise the issues of
>Deadlock, Lock-ordering, Livelock, Starvation, Convoying, and
>Lock-Contention to name a few of the problems you may face moving from
>serial to parallel algorthims (although the last two only affect
>perfomance, not correctness).

ok, i understand more or less about deadlock or lock ordering
(from the database equivalent terms), though have not heard
about livelock or the others. suppose i decide to be ignorant
about these issues "for now" and go about building my
multithreading project. and then suppose these issues cause
serious problems. would it be difficult to resolve it? would i
have to rethink/review all the threaded code?