Dennis Lee Bieber wlfraed at ix.netcom.com
Mon Dec 2 19:43:55 EST 2002

Robin Munn fed this fish to the penguins on Monday 02 December 2002
01:11 pm:

> I find s-expressions conceptually quite easy to understand. If someone
> had explained the concept of "Code is data, that's why there's all the
> parentheses" to me earlier (i.e., in my Programming Languages class in
> college), I might have put up with the parentheses long enough for
> them to "disappear" (that is, for me not to notice them anymore). As
> it so happened, nobody explained that concept to me at the time, so I
> didn't like the syntax.
>
> Now? Well, I'll probably get to understand Lisp well enough that I'll
> come to like the syntax. But I still believe that Lisp's syntax
> creates a pretty steep learning curve, steeper than other languages.
> The steepness of the learning curve is, I believe, one of the main
> reasons that Python is more popular than Lisp.

        Heh... I keep waiting for someone to mention MPI -- which replaces the
() with {} (or was it [] <G>), and verbs are finished with : ( {if:
{eq: a, b}, {dothis:}, {dothat:}} ). But then, the language is limited
to open use on a few MUCKs (the two I know of being FurryMUCK and
FurToonia). "Open use" meaning any character on the MUCK may write MPI
actions -- whereas the original scripting language (MUF -- a Forth
dialect) requires permission bits to be set by the sysop, as it
accesses a lower level of the database.