ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Thu Apr 4 09:20:20 EST 2002

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
> > I wouldn't say "should", but it sure would be nice.  Unfortunately the
> > internal architecture of the array module doesn't make this easy; it
> > would probably require a major refactoring, or perhaps a less pervasive
> > switch to new-style classes so that subclassing can be used.

Paul Rubin replied:

> I'm not sure I understand the issue about new-style classes, but if
> old-style classes are going away then new-style has to be supported,
> right?

The array object is an old-style type object.  That's not the same as an
old-style class (it's totally unrelated).  But new-style type objects are
the same as new-style classes (that's what new-style classes are all
about) and it's easy enough to convert an old-style type to a new-style
type.  Then the new-style type will allow subtyping, so you can write a
subtype that implements bit elements.

> Anyway, I'll put it on my list, but don't hold your breath.

I won't, but I'll remind you that if you give, you'll get more back.