ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Paul Rubin phr-n2002a at nightsong.com
Wed Apr 3 20:55:38 EST 2002

Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
> I wouldn't say "should", but it sure would be nice.  Unfortunately the
> internal architecture of the array module doesn't make this easy; it
> would probably require a major refactoring, or perhaps a less pervasive
> switch to new-style classes so that subclassing can be used.

I'm not sure I understand the issue about new-style classes, but if
old-style classes are going away then new-style has to be supported,
right?

> Maybe you and a few others can get together and start working on the
> code?  Or do I have to do everything myself?

I've been wanting for a while to add some features to the array
module, mainly to support efficient slice operations for text editing.
That means updating the code to use the multi-segment buffer
interface.  I guess bit vectors complicate that too.

Anyway, I'll put it on my list, but don't hold your breath.