ACCEPTED: PEP 285

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Apr 3 20:22:46 EST 2002

Paul Rubin wrote:

> Guido van Rossum <guido at python.org> writes:
> >     True and False will properly round-trip through pickling and
> >     marshalling; for example pickle.loads(pickle.dumps(True)) will
> >     return True, and so will marshal.loads(marshal.dumps(True)).
>
> It occurs to me that the array module should also support the new bool
> type (though the letters 'b' and 'B' are already used, so a different
> onewould have to be chosen).  Then at least we get an efficient way of
> handling bit vectors that we didn't have before.

I wouldn't say "should", but it sure would be nice.  Unfortunately the
internal architecture of the array module doesn't make this easy; it
would probably require a major refactoring, or perhaps a less pervasive
switch to new-style classes so that subclassing can be used.

Maybe you and a few others can get together and start working on the
code?  Or do I have to do everything myself?