Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 08:17:50 EDT 2002

On 18 Apr 2002, Martin v. [iso-8859-1] Löwis wrote:

> Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> writes:
>
> > So:
> >
> > #
> > # In addition, *static* reverses this effect (negating a previous
> > # *shared* line).
> >
> > is ambiguous, because it does not reverse all the effects of *shared*?
>
> Maybe. This is meant in the context of the Setup file: all modules
> listed after shared are compiled statically. If no modules are listed,
> this has no effect.
>
> If you can propose a rewording, please submit a patch to
> sf.net/projects/python.

I can't yet: I don't know which properties are reversed:
 * Modules included in the config.c file
 * List of objects to be added to library archive
 * linker options added to linker options
 * Rules added to Makefile
 * Names collected in SHAREDMODS variable.

> > I have tried to configure this in different ways:
> > configure
> > configure -- with-gnu-ld
>
> Python's configure does not support --with-gnu-ld, so this option has
> no effect.
>
> > What else does it look for?
>
> Use 'gcc --print-prog-name=ld' to find out which ld binary gcc uses.
/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/ld
/usr/local/sparc-sun-solaris2.7/bin/ld --version gives

GNU ld version 2.12

> > If I symling /usr/local/bin/ld to gld will configure find it?
>
> No. If you create an ld link in

Oh, ok, I thought configure might look for gld first.

> /usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/<system>/<version>; that will make gcc use a
> different ld binary.
>
> *However*, there is no need to do that; the system linker should work
>  as well. Please invoke the python linker line line manually, adding
>  -v:

I think I will delay doing that for now, because most of the tests
worked without using GCC.  Another post suggests that this is not common
to Solaris7, (referring to pre-releases of Python-2.2.1).  Therefore I
may not really be helping anyone else by exploring that.