Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng hgs at dmu.ac.uk
Thu Apr 18 07:49:06 EDT 2002

On Wed, 17 Apr 2002, P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:

> "Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng" <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> escribió en el mensaje
> news:mailman.1019036193.29349.python-list at python.org...
> On Tue, 16 Apr 2002, P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia wrote:
>

> On 17 Apr 2002, Martin v. Loewis wrote:
>
> > "P. Alejandro Lopez-Valencia" <dradul at yahoo.com> writes:
        [...]
> > Can you elaborate? gcc -shared works fine on Solaris, and binutils
> > also works without problems.
>
> >AFAIK this is true.  I've not had problems like this with other
> >packages.
>
> As said in other message, this is not the recommended procedure; the
> fact
> that you can does not mean you should. GNU as does not generate 100%
> compatible binary object code, and GNU ld tends to botch Sparc object

I don't know enough about the internals to assert anything about this
myself, so I tried a build with CC=cc and CXX=CC because we fortunately
have the Forte6 compiler set available.

Script started on Thu Apr 18 11:53:08 2002
        [...]
160 tests OK.
4 tests failed:
    test_largefile test_socket test_sundry test_urllib2
23 tests skipped:
    test___all__ test_al test_asynchat test_bsddb test_cd test_cl
    test_curses test_dl test_gdbm test_gl test_imgfile
    test_linuxaudiodev test_minidom test_nis test_ntpath test_openpty
    test_pyexpat test_sax test_socket_ssl test_socketserver
    test_sunaudiodev test_winreg test_winsound
Ask someone to teach regrtest.py about which tests are
expected to get skipped on sunos5.
*** Error code 1
make: Fatal error: Command failed for target `test'
neelix hgs 13 %> exit
neelix hgs 14 %>
script done on Thu Apr 18 12:33:51 2002

How concerned should I be about these?

        [other interesting matters trimmed, see my next reply]