Python-2.2.1, Solaris7, make test fails...

Martin v. Löwis loewis at informatik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 18 07:32:10 EDT 2002

Hugh Sasse Staff Elec Eng <hgs at dmu.ac.uk> writes:

> So:
>
> #
> # In addition, *static* reverses this effect (negating a previous
> # *shared* line).
>
> is ambiguous, because it does not reverse all the effects of *shared*?

Maybe. This is meant in the context of the Setup file: all modules
listed after shared are compiled statically. If no modules are listed,
this has no effect.

If you can propose a rewording, please submit a patch to
sf.net/projects/python.

> I have tried to configure this in different ways:
> configure
> configure -- with-gnu-ld

Python's configure does not support --with-gnu-ld, so this option has
no effect.

> What else does it look for?

Use 'gcc --print-prog-name=ld' to find out which ld binary gcc uses.

> If I symling /usr/local/bin/ld to gld will configure find it?

No. If you create an ld link in
/usr/local/lib/gcc-lib/<system>/<version>; that will make gcc use a
different ld binary.

*However*, there is no need to do that; the system linker should work
 as well. Please invoke the python linker line line manually, adding
 -v:

gcc -v -o python Modules/python.o libpython2.2.a -lsocket -lnsl -ldl  -lpthread -lthread   -lm

That will tell precisely which linker is invoked, and what options are
given to it (most likely, the linker will be collect2 which invokes
the real linker, so you have to consider the output where the linker
identifies itself as well).

Regards,
Martin