configuring mxCGIPython

Paul Boddie paul at boddie.net
Thu Apr 25 05:40:49 EDT 2002

"Mark McEahern" <mark at mceahern.com> wrote in message news:<mailman.1019680127.28712.python-list at python.org>...
> Hi, I'm trying to configure mxCGIPython:
>
>   http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxCGIPython.html#Install
>
> I'm stuck at step 4, chmod 755 the path to the binary file cgipython.

[...]

> If I ftp to the server, I can chmod 755 the specific file.  If I change the
> script just to reference the filename (not the full path), it works.

With the ability to perform a chmod using FTP, I don't see the reason
for using the "install script" provided for mxCGIPython.

> The problem is that the shebang line for the Python cgi files needs to have
> the full path, I think.  If I don't chmod the full path, it doesn't work.
> The full path would be:
>
>   #!/home/chain/pythons/cgipython

I found that it isn't always possible to deploy Python programs in a
cgi-bin directory and to use the above notation to persuade the
operating system to locate the Python executable. In the end, I used a
wrapper shell script for each of my Python programs.

Paul