configuring mxCGIPython

Mark McEahern mark at mceahern.com
Wed Apr 24 16:25:41 EDT 2002

Hi, I'm trying to configure mxCGIPython:

  http://www.egenix.com/files/python/mxCGIPython.html#Install

I'm stuck at step 4, chmod 755 the path to the binary file cgipython.  I'm
using this cgi script:

  #!/bin/sh
  echo content-type: text/html
  echo
  path=`pwd`
  cgifile=$path/cgipython

  if [ -f $cgifile ]
  then
    echo Making $cgifile executable...
    if chmod -v 755 $cgifile
    then
      echo Successful.
    else
      echo Failed.
    fi
  else
    echo $cgifile does not appear to exist.
  fi

I get these results:

  Making /home/chain/pythons/cgipython executable...
  failed to change mode of /home/chain/pythons/cgipython to 0755 (rwxr-xr-x)
  Failed.

If I ftp to the server, I can chmod 755 the specific file.  If I change the
script just to reference the filename (not the full path), it works.

The problem is that the shebang line for the Python cgi files needs to have
the full path, I think.  If I don't chmod the full path, it doesn't work.
The full path would be:

  #!/home/chain/pythons/cgipython

I've also tried using a relative path for the shebang line.  The cgi-bin
folder and the folder where cgipython is stored are siblings, so relative to
the Python cgi files in cgi-bin, the path to the cgipython file should be:

  ../pythons/cgipython

But I've tried:

  #!../python/cgipython
  #!/python/cgipython

None of these work.  I simply get the internal server error.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

// mark