Thanks and kudos to Python core team (was Re: Booleans, integer division,backwards compatibility; where is Python going?)

Donn Cave donn at drizzle.com
Thu Apr 11 03:06:10 EDT 2002

Quoth Peter Hansen <peter at engcorp.com>:
| In any case what's your point?  You have every right, and
| apparently the strong motivation, to fork off your own branch
| of the language and continue development in your own fashion.
| Surely that will let you demonstrate how to bring legitimacy
| in ways the current project leads have not been able...

His point might have been more clearly articulated, but there
certainly was a point.  Look for "will undermine the legitimacy
of Python", in the part you omitted.

"Love it or leave it" bumper stickers used to be more common in the US,
a few years back, in response to vociferous criticism of US foreign
policy at the time.  The criticism was often unfair, but then US foreign
policy was too easy a target.  I hope I never see another one of those
bumper stickers.

The hostility directed towards Mr. Lumberjack suggests that maybe he
was smart to use a nom de plume for this message.  Tomorrow he can
post under his real name and interact on amicable terms with the
people who want to chase him off today for criticizing our leader.
That's fine, I guess, as long as you all are having fun, but don't
kid yourselves that this is any kind of a service to the community.
It's actually kind of a sorry picture.

	Donn Cave, donn at drizzle.com