python2.2

Gerhard Häring gerhard at bigfoot.de
Mon Apr 29 15:57:08 EDT 2002

* Billy Ng <kwokng at earthlink.net> [2002-04-29 19:26 +0000]:
> This is my source.list, would you please tell me how to change this file to
> allow me to install the testing packages?
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
>
> deb ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb-src ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main
> deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main
> deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US stable/non-US main

I'm not sure installing testing packages on stable will work at all, but
you could try adding this to your sources.list (you'll probably have
mirrors that work better for you):

deb ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb-src ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/debian/ testing main non-free contrib
deb http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free
deb-src http://non-us.debian.org/debian-non-US testing/non-US main contrib non-free

Then, you should also modifiy your /etc/apt/preferences to:

Package: *
Pin: release a=stable
Pin-Priority: 900

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: -10

To install a package with its dependencies from the testing
distribution, you can then use:

apt-get -t testing install python2.2

I don't really understand all about the "pinning", etc. I've my mixed
testing/sid setup for apt from a HOWTO somewhere. But unfortunately, I'm
not able to find it at the moment :-(

Gerhard
--
mail:   gerhard <at> bigfoot <dot> de       registered Linux user #64239
web:    http://www.cs.fhm.edu/~ifw00065/    OpenPGP public key id AD24C930