Help: Python for a big commercial project?

cmkl cmkleffner at gmx.de
Wed Apr 10 13:26:35 EDT 2002

I sucessfully use Python2.2 on HPUX 11 as well as I used Python2.1 on HPUX 10.2
with InformixDB v1.3 and other useful extensions for development of medium sized
inhouse test tools and database service tools.
I agree: IT IS PAINFUL learn to build Python on HPUX but nevertheless it is
worth doing. DONT'T use the prebuilt buggy python versions of the
HPUX porting Center !! Build python yourself, it is then much easier to get
working C-extensions like database modules, numeric python ...

threads is an issue on HPUX platforms. With HPUX11 I was sucessful to build
thread enabled python (tests sucessful) but I was not able to build a working
multithreaded database application with a multithreaded enabled Informixdb
module. But it may be possible. It is a matter of time for trying and testing
different settings at compile time.

On the other hand I was able to build a single-file python interpreter with
several frozen modules - perfect for painless distribution to other HPUX's.
Try this i.e. with perl or the JAVA JRE !!!

Development time is dratically reduced compared to the classical approach
with mixed C / ksh applications.

Sincerly

Carl KLeffner