Help: Python for a big commercial project?

Cliff Wells logiplexsoftware at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 11 14:49:28 EDT 2002

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 20:41:19 -0400
Peter Hansen wrote:

> Cliff Wells wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, 10 Apr 2002 13:24:59 +0200 Cereal Muesli wrote:
> >
> > > - First of all; do you think that Python is suitable for this
> > >   kind of "serious, big" project?
> >
> > Absolutely.  I would not hesitate to use Python for *any* project.  At a
prior
> > job, I used Python develop the primary application for a contract worth
over $3
> > million a year.  In my current position, I am moving our applications from
C to
> > Python and these applications will be responsible for monitoring and
> > controlling security systems in some high-risk/top-secret facilities
(overseas
> > military installations, government research facilities, etc - if I told you
> > more, well, you know the line ;)
>
> Complete, total, and 100% redundant agreement with Cliff on all the issues
> he mentions here.  My company is writing applications from scratch in Python
> to be used to monitor and control communication systems in similar facilities

> (would be fun someday to find that our stuff went into some of the same
places)
> and for industrial use and if I told you more I'd have to ask Cliff to get
one
> of the people he knows in his line of business to kill you...
>
> Hey Cliff, did Bruno call you back yet?  I'm still kicking myself for that
> accidental disclosure on the XP mailing list.  It's going to take so long for
> him to track them all down through their email addresses ...  :-(

Actually Bruno has gone missing after a um, miscalculation at the fish market.
We've been using Crowbar and Glovebox exclusively for our public relations.  So
I suppose those XP guys are safe for the moment.  Besides, anything you might
have told them was probably refactored to the point of disinformation ;)

--
Cliff Wells, Software Engineer
Logiplex Corporation (www.logiplex.net)