Interactive web image using Python

Markus Schaber markus at schabi.de
Tue Sep 25 14:12:27 EDT 2001

Hamish Lawson <hamish_lawson at yahoo.co.uk> schrub:

> Paul Boddie wrote:
>
>> The last thing could, I suppose, be done by either saving the image
>> somewhere which is accessible from the user's browser (so that the
>> "img" tag can pick the generated image up from a static resource), by
>> generating the image independently of the Web page (and imagemap) (so
>> that the image is only generated when the browser attempts to load
>> the "src" of the "img" tag), or by sending the image with the Web
>> page to the browser. I must admit that I haven't looked too much into
>> the latter, but it might be an elegant solution.
>
> Paul, I've used the first two techniques you mention before; in each
> case the IMG tag in the generated page specifies the URL of a resource
> that the browser makes a separate request for. However I'm intrigued
> by your third option, namely "sending the image with the Web page". By
> this, do you mean sending back a multipart message that includes both
> the HTML page and the generated image?

May be he talks about the data: URL scheme. It is described in RFC 2397
at your favourite RFC mirror (e. G.
http://www.ics.uci.edu/pub/ietf/uri/rfc2397.txt or any other).

This URL scheme allows direct inclusion of the ressource into the URL.
An Example can be seen at
http://www.delegate.org/delegate/sample/data-url.html

Note, I don't know any serious usage of this scheme, and my favourite
Browser Opera does not (yet) support it. :-(

So I wouldn't advise any web designer to use it, but for some special
applications it may be an appropriate possibility.

markus
--
"The strength of the Constitution lies entirely in the determination of
each citizen to defend it. Only if every single citizen feels duty