Request for Validation of Python as Development Language

Max maxx at easynews.com
Tue Nov 13 12:30:39 EST 2001

Python is compiled to byte code, and run through a byte code interpreter.
Essentially, so is Java, and .NET. I think of "scripting" is simply one of
Python's "modes", included alongside of full-scale application development, and
prototyping. In reality, Python is _more_ capable than languages like Java,
simply because I can choose to develop a complete end-to-end solution, or a
simple script to get a simple job done. I would never think to use Java or C# to
write database maintenance scripts, but I would not have many reservations about
writing a database application in Python.

My approach in advocating Python is currently "what gets the job done best ?"
For me, best is defined in terms of development speed, ease of maintenance (both
now and a year from now when I have lost track of why I wrote the app in the
first place), and portability between operating systems AND programmers (I find
that understand other's Python code is easier than with most other languages).

And in the end, Python plays well with others. Easy interation with Windows COM
objects, and Java through Jython means that even if the rest of the camp will
not "see the light", Python can still play a role with those who prefer it's
advantages.